In the last few years, a new concept of offices started to be implemented in large corporations. The so-called “smart office” approach has helped companies with thousands of employees to save a fortune. If you are a small to medium company you might believe that rethinking and redesigning your workplace will cost you a lot of money. This is not necessarily true. Let us give you some ideas on how to improve your office. Turn your workplace into a smart office.
Keyword in smart office is “smart”
Before starting to move furniture around and spend money on gadgets you need to analyze your business. Answer the following questions:
- how big is your office, how many rooms you have?
- how many employees do you have?
- is it necessary to have all your employees at work in the same time?
- what’s the weather like most of the year in your region?
- how can you improve your employee’s comfort while increasing productivity at the same time?
- what learning and career development opportunities can you offer to your employees?
- which are the areas where you could save time, money, space?
- how can you do all these while offering privacy and intimacy?
The whole smart office concept is based on using the available space to its full potential, in such a manner that your productivity will grow while the maintenance cost will decrease. You will maybe need to change your work style and adapt, but in the long run, it will pay off. Try to be smart about it.
Employees vs. space ratio
If you do your homework right you might get to the conclusion that your office is too big so you could move in another, less expensive, space. If you work in a niche where people can work from home you just hit the jackpot. The good news is that today most of the jobs can be done outside the office. In order to accommodate everyone, try organizing shifts (some people work better in the morning, others in the afternoon), make sure people work from home and have them meet only for certain, specific tasks where the team works better if they are face to face. Put an end to the idea of personal desk. Everyone can sit anywhere and once they finished their job, the place is free for the next one.
Temperatures & electric power
Depending on your location extreme outside temperatures can push your costs through the roof. Heating or cooling an office with tens of people can prove very expensive. Make sure your office has plenty natural light. It’s healthy, offers a certain comfort, and saves you a lot of money.
Install sensors to set the temperature automatically and to detect how crowded a specific area is. You can dim the light in a far corner of an open space if no one’s there, turn the cooling off if the conference room is empty or lower the heat in a very crowded place.
Save time & increase productivity
There are a lot of gadgets and ideas that could save you time and improve your work rate. Below just some of them:
- use your computer as a phone (there are a lot of software that can do that for you so you can save money from buying phones)
- install cloud printing services so you can print from anywhere, outside office included (check Google Cloud Print)
- replace the doorman with security cameras and electronic locks
- don’t keep books on shelves anymore, build a virtual library for your employees
- design recreational rooms. It will boost your people productivity
In conclusion, any office can be a smart office. Rethink your old office, keep the good parts and enhance it with new gadgets, smart solutions, and different work style. Have a look at our infographic to find out what to keep and what to change in your office.
Tip: learn few tricks about how you can reduce noise in your open space office.
What do you think about our proposals? Can you apply them to your office or not? Do you have other suggestions? Let us know in the comment area. Thanks!