Deleting a WordPress theme is a basic task for every web developer. This is why in this article I’ve done a short tutorial on how to delete a WordPress theme. For a video tutorial check the end of the article.
There are 2 ways to delete a WordPress theme.
Delete the WordPress theme through your website’s dashboard
- Login to your WordPress dashboard and access the Themes section from the Appearance menu.
- Make sure the theme you want to delete is not active. You cannot delete an active theme! If the theme you want to delete is active, just activate another available theme.
- Once the theme is not active anymore you need to click the Details button and then, in the bottom right corner press Delete. Your WordPress theme should now be removed.
Delete a WordPress theme through an FTP manager
- Login to your server using an FTP manager (FileZilla is one of the best free FTP managers). For this, you need to know your hostname, password, and port.
- Access wp-content/themes folder. Look for your theme and delete it.
- If you also want to delete some plugins belonging to that theme you need to go to wp-content/plugins folder. Select the desired plugins and delete them. Be careful, some of the plugins are used by other themes as well so it’s better not to delete any if you are not sure what you are doing!
Tip: If you want to find out more about WordPress themes and plugins check this article: How to manually update a plugin and a WordPress theme!