In our previous tutorial, we explained how to block a Youtube channel on your desktop computer. Unfortunately, that method cannot be applied to smartphones. Similar to the Youtube website, the Youtube app for Android and Apple phones doesn’t allow us to block videos and channels. But there is still a way to block a Youtube channel on smartphone or tablet.
How to block a Youtube channel on smartphone or tablet
To block a Youtube channel on your smartphone you will need an app that was specially designed for this purpose. There are a lot of apps of this kind, each having its own settings and customization possibilities, but we will use for exemplification the YouTube Kids app. Why? Because this app was developed by Google Inc. and Youtube is a Google service. This app is available for both Android and Apple.
Tip: this app might not be available in some countries. If this is the case for you try other similar apps by searching “Youtube kids” in Play Store or Apple App Store.
The YouTube Kids app can be very helpful if you want to protect your kid of inappropriate content. Of course, nothing is 100% guaranteed, especially on mobile, but this is still better than the usual Youtube app.
Features YouTube Kids offers
- split access for parents and children – you will have to use an access code to make the settings available
- possibility to restrict access to search – so your kid will not be able to look for other videos than the ones you allow him to watch
- set time limit – if you don’t want your kid to spend all night watching cartoons on Youtube you can set the app to block and exit after a certain period of time (up to 2 hours)
- casting option – share the videos on a TV
- report videos
- block all videos from a channel
- block a certain video
Steps to block a video
- Tap the lock icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Press Sign In option.
- Choose the account you’d like to use.
- Tap Send Parental Consent Email.
- Check your email for the consent letter and activation code.
- Enter the code in the application.
- Block the video as shown in the below image.
We hope this will help you keep your child away from content you find inappropriate for him. Let us know in the comment area if you managed to install the app or you need help with something else. Thanks!